Sunday, November 16, 2008

Field Trip



Today I took 5 of my students on a field trip to a mid-rise office and residential tower under construction. Out of respect to thier costumes or religion I asked for permision to take their picture. Three of them said no but suggested I take this image that does not show their faces. I think this is a very telling image of our experience here in Doha. My students want very much to be a part of the amazing development and progress that this world has to offer while respecting their own heritage and family traditions. It is not often you would see women in Abayas and hard hats on the construction site.




This is an image from the same tower looking east across Doha into the Arabian Gulf.






... and west with the desert and Saudi Arabia beyond.

2 comments:

Kristy said...

WOW, so cool. That picture of your students is amazing.

Richardson Five said...

Yes, wow! It is so interesting to see what they have to wear everyday. Is it always black?