Sunday, November 23, 2008

I.M. Pei


For some time I have been looking forward to the opening of the Museum of Islamic Art here in Doha. I was excited for many reasons. The greatest of which is a chance to see a building designed by the world renowned architect I.M. Pei. The VCU Qatar Interior Design department faculty and students were invited to a panel discussion in honor of Mr. Pei. We went this morning, knowing Mr. Pei would not be at this event. He was at the big grand opening last night. At the beginning of the panel discussion we were informed that he might join us later in the discussion. About 10 minutes into the discussion the speaker said, "I have been informed Mr. Pei has joined us." The audience immediately started clapping. I looked to my right (I was sitting at the end of the row) and there he stood, right next to me. In my mind I thought, "the world famous architect, I.M. Pei is standing right next to me, I should take a picture." I pulled out my camera and only had time to take a shot "from the hip"and shoot the picture without looking through the view finder.


So I now have a lovey picture of Mr. Pei's jacket lapel and buttons as proof that I was next to him.


I was able to take a picture of him at the luncheon afterwards. (The lunch menu itself was worth going for.) I probably could have had my picture taken with him but so many other people were doing it so I didn't want to bother him.

3 comments:

Kristy said...

Heehee. I like that.

Anonymous said...

LOVE THE PICTURE!

Julie

Jan.lyons said...

Didn't I.M Pei design the rock and roll hall of fame museum in Cinncinati?